Electric bicycles lent by the AMB for free to the Town Council of Montada i Reixac (November 2014)
Bearing in mind that the actions to adapt the streets and roads to sustainable mobility already include projects to increase and complete the metropolitan network of bike lanes, this sub-programme has focused on improving the services provided to bike users.
A new "Bike Guide" has been published, presenting the bike lane network of the 36 metropolitan municipalities in two maps: Northern Area and Southern Area. At the beginning of 2015 the definite edition was published. A digital and navigable version can be checked out on the AMB website.
To promote the use of bicycles, especially in municipalities with Bicibox, at the same time, the Plan to boost the use of bicycles (2012) was set up, containing the following actions:
- Study on the inter-municipal connections by bike in the scope of the Bicibox service (March 2013): identifying 20 sections that are not conveniently adapted and render inter-municipal connections by bike difficult in the Baix Llobregat. The study also envisages possible solutions.
- Publication of the Bike Guide: a map showing the network of bike lanes and pacified streets, as well as the location of the 130 Bicibox modules in the 12 municipalities that provided this service in May 2013. 50,000 copies of this guide were printed and distributed to the town councils offering the Bicibox service.
As for the promotion of electric bicycles, the AMB has carried out the following actions:
- Purchasing 102 electric bicycles that will be leased to metropolitan town councils after they submit a request to the AMB. The goal of this action is to allow municipal workers to move around in a more sustainable way, whether it is for work or to travel from their homes to work.
- In addition to the previous action, in November 2014 a campaign was launched to subsidise the purchase of electric bikes for residents in the AMB. For the purchase of a bike (costing under €1,250) the AMB contributes €250. This campaign, managed together with shops that joined the plan and collaborating entities, has had two stages with 500 bikes each, and will continue until the middle of 2015.
At the start of the mandate, the project for new and secure Bicibox bike parking spaces (a service that is complementary to the metropolitan public transport) has been designed and the modules had been constructed, and was moving into the implementation stage and starting operations.
On 18th July 2011 the first Bicibox module was installed in Sant Joan Despí, followed by the modules installed in Sant Boi de Llobregat, Cornellà de Llobregat, Esplugues de Llobregat, Sant Just Desvern and El Prat de Llobregat. By March 2012 there were 1,316 bike spaces up and running in 11 municipalities in the Baix Llobregat. In October 2012 Sant Cugat del Vallès also joined the network.
Installation of a Bicibox module in Sant Joan Despí (2011)
2013 was the first year when the Bicibox service was completely operational. Also, in October that same year, a new stage of renovation started, influenced by the change in the franchise company in charge of the maintenance and operation of the service infrastructures.
In February 2015 works started to build 10 new Bicibox modules with 14 spaces each, since there were no more modules to meet the requests of the town councils.
The new modules are constructed following a new design –developed by the technicians of the Public Space department– with improvements to the previous model in key aspects:
- The impact on the urban environment has been minimised with a smaller dimension.
- The structure has been reinforced and safer aluminium sheet doors have been included.
- The solar panel has been re-dimensioned and there is more space for the batteries, to ensure the supply of electricity.
- The electric plates have been re-dimensioned and the software has been improved, to allow for the installation of security cameras or points to recharge the batteries of electric bikes.
The project for the new secure Bicibox bike-parking module (2014)
These new modules will be used to increase the AMB municipal service and to reinforce the number of available parking spaces in places with a higher demand.
Although the number of available spaces is practically the same as in recent years, in 2012 48,000 bikes were parked in the Bicibox modules, 83,000 in 2013 and almost 125,000 in 2014, confirming the consolidation of this service. During 2014 there were more than 3,500 registered users.
The average monthly demand in 2014 was 10,400 parked bicycles, and considerably higher during the spring and autumn. In October a new monthly record was set with over 15,000 bicycles parked.
The last increase in supply for the Bicibox service entailed the installation of four modules (49 parking spaces) in the municipality of Cerdanyola del Vallès (June 2014).
New Bicibox module next to the Town Council of Cerdanyola del Vallès (June 2014)
During this period some of the modules were relocated to optimize the supply with regards to the demand observed and to provide the service to new areas in demand, such as terminals T1 and T2 at the Barcelona – El Prat Airport. More information Cycling Network of the metropolitan area of Barcelona (North) Cycling Network of the metropolitan area of Barcelona (South) Cycling Network of the metropolitan area of Barcelona (web version)